FOREST AND FARM SCHOOL ATTIRE
"There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." -Sir Randulph Fiennes
Programs will be held rain or shine. Your child is required to be dressed appropriately for the weather each day at VFS.
FOREST AND FARM SCHOOL CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS
Base Layer- Fall, Winter, Spring
Wool or synthetic fitted base layer long sleeve top and long bottoms
Warm hat and/or balaclava
Mid Layer-Fall, Winter, Spring
Wool or fleece pants
Wool or fleece jacket
Insulating Layer- late Fall, Winter, early Spring
Heavy Jacket such as a ski jacket or other heavily insulated jacket
Waterproof Layer- Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
ALL STUDENTS MUST have rain jacket and rain pants/bibs that are coated in polyurethane. Appropriate brands are CeLaVi, Reima, Taxi, Helly Hansen, and Grundens. Please purchase 2 piece sets, not a one piece suit.
Feet + Hands- late Fall, Winter, early Spring
Wool socks for the rain and winter
Insulated rain boots for cold/rain
Insulated ski gloves/mittens(winter)
Long sleeve UV sun shirt if sensitive to prolonged sun exposure
Sandals for getting in a creek
- Forest School only- Whittling Knife for ages 5+. The Morakniv Craftline Basic 511 Carbon Steel Fixed Blade Utility Knife and Combi-Sheath with a 3.6 inch blade is required(can be found on Amazon!)
- Unlined Sketch Pad. Expect to go through 2-3 per school year per child. The Melissa and Doug 6 x 9 Mini Sketch Pad is the perfect size for all ages.
- Backpack with buckling chest strap. This must be properly sized for your child and must be able to fit all gear including their lunch. A separate lunch box is not necessary or recommended as the children carry their lunch in their packs most days.
- An insulated mug with a carabiner handle- hooked to the outside of pack. Classes make foraged tea on a regular basis and this mug is essential for them to enjoy their forest tea!
- Farm school only- Leather work gloves/gardening gloves.
If it is not raining, cold, or windy, your child can dress just like you would be taking them to the playground for the day. Otherwise, follow the requirements above.
Label all gear!
Please reach out to your location's Program Coordinator with questions regarding gear!